General Statement of Duties: Performs routine manual labor to repair city streets and culverts, cemetery grounds and monument repairs, wastewater plants, underground pipes for water and sewer lines, or other city structures, facilities, and grounds.
Distinguishing Features of the Class: An employee in this class performs routine manual work in providing safe and attractive structures, facilities, streets, and parks and grounds for use by city residents. Work includes general landscaping, digging, equipment maintenance, leaf collection, installing or patching pipes and street pavement with asphalt or concrete, driving a city truck, loading and unloading crew supplies, directing traffic, and other labor-intense tasks. Work is distinguished from the Maintenance Worker II classification by the type of work assignments and the level of knowledge and experience required at the Maintenance Worker II level. Work is performed under the immediate supervision of a mid-level supervisor or other maintenance supervisor. Work is evaluated for safety, operation, and overall appearance of city structures, and is checked daily by visual inspection and feedback from patrons.
Illustrative Examples of Work:
- Checks operation of water and wastewater valves by manually turning valves on and off with valve key or wrench; reports needed valve replacements to immediate supervisor
- Digs, patches, and backfills pavement or grounds using shovels, dump trucks, jackhammers, and tamps; assists skilled maintenance personnel in the repair of water and wastewater pipe break and patching of streets
- Drives dump truck to and from worksite hauling debris, mud, and materials used for backfill
- Performs general landscaping work including mowing with riding and push mowers, trimming and pruning trees and shrubs, and cutting down trees
- Rakes leaves into vacuum truck and operates vacuum truck if needed
- Spreads ice melting materials on sidewalks and shovels snow and ice from walkways
- Performs other general maintenance duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General knowledge of manual labor and maintenance work performed by the City of Mebane
- Ability understand and follow oral or written instructions given by a supervisor
- Ability to perform manual labor tasks such as seeding, disbursing straw, fertilizing, mowing, shoveling, raking, and erecting proper signage to denote crews at work in varied environmental conditions including heavy traffic
- Ability operate a mower, tractor, dump truck, leaf blower, weed eater, tamp, jackhammer, and other maintenance equipment
- Ability to identify and report maintenance needs or safety issues to a lead worker or supervisor
- Ability to understand and follow oral instruction and cooperate and work well as a team member in carrying out work assignments
- Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time and be available to work overtime and weekends if required
- Ability to effectively communicate with the general public and demonstrate courtesy
Physical Requirements: Work in this class is defined as heavy work requiring exertion of in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Employees must have the visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned as well as recognize and apply safety standards to work performed. Employee must have the stamina to engage in strenuous physical work for extended periods of time.
Working conditions: Employees are primarily subject to outside environmental conditions including extreme cold and heat as well as noise levels requiring workers requiring the wearing of protective gear. Employees are subject to physical workplace hazards including proximity to moving mechanical parts or vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to extremes of heat and cold, rain and snow, and potential exposure to chemicals as well as atmospheric conditions including fumes, odors, dusts, dirt, mists, gases, or poor ventilation. Employee may work in close quarters, crawl space, shafts, man holes, small enclosures, small sewage and water line pipes, and other areas which could cause claustrophobia.
Education and Experience: Must be at least 18 years of age. Graduation from high school or GED equivalency and some experience in the maintenance of buildings, grounds, using concrete and asphalt, and piping is desired.
- Valid NC Drivers License (without restrictions)
- May be required to obtain a NC Commercial Driver's License (CDL-B)
Please mail, fax, or email an application, current resume, and cover letter to:
the Human Resources Department, City of Mebane, 106 E. Washington St., Mebane, NC 27302.